Appeal unfair fines

State governments issue millions of fines, raking in over $3.5 billion in fines revenue each year. Many fines have little impact on road safety. Never rush to pay as you'll have up to 28-days to consider your options.

What you can do

Work out why you got the fine, revisit the location, check signs and visibility, determine if other drivers are having the same problem, take photos.

Download any camera images, determine if you were the offender or another close vehicle, you may be able to check speed camera records, work out if there's a higher instances of offending at the location. Check your dashcam for lead up issues.


If you've a good driving record, with no serious 3-demerit point plus fines in the last 2-3 years, appeal to the agency who issued the fine before the Fine Due Date.

If your appeal is rejected, consider re-appealing before the new Fine Due Date, if you feel they've overlooked your good driving record or important facts or if you've additional evidence or photos.

Every time you appeal the fine due date will be extended. This allows you time to consider you're next step.


If you're still unsuccessful consider a court appeal, I find you'll get a fairer outcome from a magistrate than from state or local council appeals, the police or a ranger waiting to book you.

Get free advice from Legal Aid or a court duty solicitor, then lodge a court option before the revised Fine Due Date.

You can lodge your court application online, once you've received your Court Attendance Notice, you can request a more suitable day or a closer local court.

With simple traffic and council fines you can represent yourself in court. The magistrate has the power to dismiss the fine and points, lower the fine, dismiss court and victim compensation costs.

The book Penalty Rip Off includes information on appealing in your state, with a guide, templates and examples of successful appeals. It explains contributing, special and exceptional circumstances that may have contributed to your receiving an expensive fine.

If you're charged with a serious offence that could result in the loss of your license or imprisonment, get legal advice from a specialist traffic solicitor early.